Wednesday, June 10, 2009

To be blessed to see...


Outside my office window is a small topiary tree, a round ball on a brown trunk. Last week we noticed a small bird had made her nest in the front part of the tree. I watched as she came and went continually throughout the day. Bringing items back for the nest and soon we began to hear the tiny chirping of a new baby bird. Ever so carefully I peered into the tree to see tiny beading eyes looking out at me as momma stared at me from a nearby perch. The baby was so tiny but could call for his momma quite loudly. We've been checking on baby everyday, watching as feathers filled in all over the tiny body. Then this morning the most amazing thing happened. I was walking Mr. G out to his car and we stopped to look at the baby bird. Momma was sitting on the fence close by watching our every move. Baby was sitting up on the edge of the nest. We both thought he looked like he was ready to take off at any moment, but already?? We moved away from the nest and in a minute there he went, flapping hard trying to stay afloat. Momma followed him down to where he landed and looked to give him a treat and some encouragement. A few seconds later he tried to get off the ground and made more of a hop than a flight. It was amazing to watch his early morning flying lessons. I have never seen anything like it and in that moment I felt I was blessed to witness the event. Momma stood back and watched her little one try to take flight. Was God whispering to me this morning??

No comments: