Friday, September 26, 2008

Applesauce Days!


Thursday was the start of applesauce days! Princess, Bug and I headed over to the farm store to get seconds(apples). We started with 3 boxes and my sister brought over 4 more. The apples make their way into my farm sink to be washed, then onto the cutting board and into the pots. I do 2 pots at a time. Bug prefers to watch the process from the comfort of her highchair with cheerios to snack. Princess was interested in the washing part but that's where her excitement ends. It's a simple process really, I just chop and plop. Once they are on the stove I cook them until they are mushy. The mushy mess goes into a hand cranked food mill to smooth the sauce. Now I add a smidgen of sugar and some pure vanilla, give it a good stir and enjoy. At this point there are 3 options: eat the yummy warm applesauce, put it in freezer bags to freeze or can the sauce. Today I chose the freezer method. Easy and simple. The best part is how it makes the kitchen smell, a sweet, apple, fall smell. I love to eat the applesauce warm. So does Bug.


I have quite a few apples to go and it will take a few days but it is so worth it. It always tastes so much better than grocery store sauce.

No comments: