Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bits of Gratitude



So many things to be thankful for happen around here everyday. I try to add them to my ongoing gratitude journal. I have kept a gratitude journal off and on for years but was inspired to start again by Ann at Holy Experience. She is an amazing writer who shares her heart and her faith honestly. As we go through our days I try to point out things to notice, things of beauty, something nice someone does unexpectedly, an unexpected treat. We are given so much to be grateful for everyday. The attitude of gratitude can change your view of life, I know it has mine. Faithfully recording the days blessings has helped me regain that sense of wonder about life. It removes so much of the cynicism from the everyday grind. I am intentional in looking for the blessings in everything I do, even in the chores that never end. It has helped me find contentment.


And no it isn't always easy to look for the blessings in every situation it is possible. Last week I wasn't very grateful when the washer, which is located on the second floor, overflowed sending water down between the walls to come pouring out of the ceiling in the basement onto the carpet. BUT I was very grateful I was home at the time to turn the water off and prevent more damage. Because I was here when it happened there was very little damage after the hours of cleanup. Did it completely throw off my schedule for the day, yes! But since we had to take everything out of the laundry room to clean the mess Mr. G. decided it would be a good time to paint the room. He picked a lovely cheerful yellow to go with my blue machines and white cabinets. While he was at it he put up some new shelving. I love shelving! So in the end I was blessed with a freshly painted laundry, a sparkling clean floor and a reminder not to turn the machine on to wash when I am not going to be home.(A bad habit of mine)

My life is far from perfection. My kids misbehave, laundry needs done, the toy room has exploded all of its toys onto the floor again. But it is my attitude about these things that makes all the difference. If I focus on all the work and monotony of the daily grind I would go crazy. If I choose to focus on the good, the beautiful and the many blessings I have been given I can get through anything and even enjoy tasks that I find distasteful. I choose to see my glass half full. I choose to be optimistic. I choose to smile more. I choose to be thankful for all the children who make the mounds of laundry. When life seems so overwhelming I choose to take a breath and mentally list my blessings for the day. God is so good to me. I choose an attitude of gratitude.

No comments: