Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Advent begins


The season is upon us, the first candle on the advent wreath has been lit and we may have snow before the end of the week. The kids are already starting to get excited and are filled with anticipation for all the fun things we do in December. First up is the annual tree trimming here at the house. I have been cleaning, cooking and decorating for a few days now. I pretty much have a schedule down after doing this for quite a few years now and things are moving along fine. My attitude towards it all is what has really changed over the years. I used to stress and scream(the two go hand in hand with me:( ) and practically melt down if things weren't perfectly the way I wanted them, I would have a cow if anyone touched a cookie tray before the first guest arrived. I know it wasn't pretty. It's a whole different story now. I do what I love to do to get ready for the party, I make the food I can't imagine not having then I let the rest go. Oh it's still not easy to do, I have to take big deep breaths on a regular basis and remind myself what is important. It is more important to have fun while preparing for the party, that is what it should be for me. It is more fun to let the kids help decorate even if it isn't the way I would do it. It doesn't matter if someone is sneaking bites off the buffet before the guests arrive, who will really notice?? And because I have changed my attitude, laid off the perfectionism and decided to enjoy the process and the party the whole thing is a lot more fun. I love seeing everyone and having everyone to the house. So as advent begins I am trying to be more conscious, slow down, enjoy the moment and make memories with the littles. I Love Christmas!! I want to be sure that is what they remember, the joy of the season, the celebration of Christ's birth, not the crazy lady (AKA Mom) pulling her hair out trying to get it all done. Live, love, laugh and make memories this holiday season!!

photo: Maya asleep on the couch after too much work decorating:)

No comments: