Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The quiet after the storm


It is about 4:30 in the afternoon, the 2 oldest are with friends for the day, the middle 2 are playing upstairs with some new craft supplies and the 2 littles are still sleeping. Besides the howling wind the house is quiet. The calm has started to set in after the holiday crazies. Dinner is simmering on the stove and I feel content to sit with the quiet for a few moments longer. These moments are rare around here and I intend to enjoy every second. Quiet is really restorative in its own way, my mind is at peace. I am planning some new projects for the new year, new rhythms and routines. Quiet needs to be more a part of the everyday norm, at least for a little bit each day. I'm praying for a more quiet and gentle spirit. After the crash I just heard from upstairs I may need to pray a little harder. Off to assess the damage....

No comments: