Thursday, January 7, 2010

The day I lost it over a chocolate truffle.....

Have you had one of those days where no matter what you did you were behind and you couldn't seem to get caught up? One of the days where the kids are in hyper drive and dig out the second it is cleaned up. Where for no reason whatsoever things pile on top of things until you can't remember what the things were you were supposed to do in the first place.... Today was one of those days, it seemed nothing was accomplished, messes were everywhere and I had more on my to do list at the end of the day than at the beginning. Nap time was off, neither little girl wanted to sleep and both wanted held continually. Just plain crazy. Plus I am trying to get back to a semblance of a healthy diet after the last month of fudge and mints for breakfast, lunch and dinner (the sugar with drawl may not have been helping things). So as I am praying for grace, making dinner and waiting for the arrival of Daddy to break the "spell" of the day it hits me.....Dan bought me a lovely little bag of chocolate truffles for Christmas, bless his soul. OK I know it may sound a little pathetic that the thought of chocolate could make me almost giddy but it did. It really did. With my improved mood and daddy home we made it through dinner without much fuss. I was resolved to have a peaceful bath and bedtime routine, all the time the thought of that sweet little truffle in the back of my mind. With the littles in bed I headed to the kitchen to grab my little piece of sanity for the day, I grabbed the bag and it was very light.... Are you kidding me??? I opened the bag to find one lonely little truffle in the bottom of what should have been a full bag of candies, and it was a white chocolate one at that. I hate to admit this but I could have cried, cried over a chocolate truffle. There is starvation and suffering all over the world and I was standing in my cozy, warm kitchen almost in tears over a chocolate truffle. Where were my priorities? I know it wasn't really the candy, I felt like those who had consumed my chocolate were insensitive, thoughtless and rude to me. I needed to get a grip. I called the culprits (I knew who they were) into the kitchen to express my displeasure with their actions. I had to laugh when I saw their faces and listened to the stammering when I asked who might have eaten all of mommy's truffles. Children and chocolate, what was I thinking? Next time I need to find a better hiding spot.

No comments: