Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Grateful


Gratitude....
Today as I pulled out a coat for Monkey boy I realized just how lucky I am. The coat is a hand me down, one of many that we are fortunate enough to receive. It is a Lands End parka that looks brand new. You wouldn’t know it wasn’t new if I hadn’t told you, neither would Monkey. But I did tell him, I told him how it came from his friend and how he should be sure and thank him next time we see him. He was happy to have the new to him coat. He thinks it is cool to get clothes from his cousins and friends and thrilled to be able to pass on his clothes when they are to small. I think it is important for all my kids to realize the value in the things we own. It doesn’t have to be new to be nice. A quality item or piece of clothing can last 10 times longer than a new cheaply made item. I want them to feel good about knowing they are saving things from the land fill by using them and passing them on to be used again. There should never be shame in taking hand me downs or buying used. Quality is quality whether or not I purchased the item new or not. I am thankful my kids don’t really care about where their clothes came from. I am thankful they can see the value in reusing quality things. And even if he doesn't understand all those concepts yet, I am really grateful he doesn't throw a fit about having to have something new from the store. It's new to him no matter where it came from. We are blessed.

No comments: